lisa is the official “painter of the sides”:
we showed up at travis dinsmore’s pragmatic design lab tuesday morning. i used to build furniture with and work for travis (and was his roommate/renter for two years), so it was great to be back in the shop with him! pragmatic is building the structures for two mini golf holes. ours looks great — they did a beautiful job! we are so ready to golf… well, after we do a lot more work.
we’ve been busy making hazards of all kinds — flames, rocks, sand traps, fireballs, dirt piles, reeds, stalagmites and more. lisa had the great idea to sketch out the platform on my folks’ driveway so we can see if we have enough obstacles made. we used a little styrofoam to prop up a couple taller pieces, and this is me trying to explain to my skeptical mom that placement of the hazards will very quite a bit in the final piece, and that we’ll have to figure out how to group items so golfers can walk the hole.
last night, i finished weaving the square footage needed for the mini golf hole! it was more exciting and relieving than i could have predicted, even though we still have a lot of work to do making hazards and pulling the whole piece together. nevertheless, i poured myself a nice, cold, new belgium mothership wit at the end, sat down to a super delicious dinner of chicken marsala (thank you, lisa!) and basked in the glory for at least an hour afterwards.
finished strip for the bedrock, plus the base of the cave pool hazard and the felted stone hazards:
closeup of the diamond twill pattern… it shows up more clearly with more “regular” yarns, and quite knobbly with thicker, varied yarns:
i love the way this herringbone pattern evokes water. this strip will form the base of the cave pool hazard, which will hopefully divert golfers’ balls off course right before they putt out of the bedrock and into the core, where the hole will be:
i’m using a diamond twill for the bedrock:
here it is wrapping up on the front beam:
the warp has four colors:
i’m using an extended herringbone twill + random warp for the water hazard. the orange cord you see below is used for the first few shots to spread out the warp (when you tie it on the front beam, the ends extend in a narrow manner that needs to become regular before weaving). next, i throw a number of shots to get the fabric going, then stop to hemstitch the ends so the fabric doesn’t unravel when i take it off the loom.
mental note: i really need to take the time stamp off the new camera.